Thursday, March 17, 2011

The three little liberals.


                       






                     The three little liberals.

   One day Momma Liberal said to her three non-gender descriptive young people that it was time for them to go out unto the world.  The each looked at one another in fear and panic.  “Mother, oh Mother how will we survive?” They asked.  Do not worry my young ones; I will subsidize the construction of your new homes.  The three little Liberals jumped for joy.  “Yea, Mother will provide for us.” They chanted. So the very next day the first of the three little Liberals ventured out and found a spot on a small hill that would suit him or her just fine. “I will tell Mother that I have found a safe spot to build and plenty of stone to build with.” And took off to tell Mother the great news.

   When Mother heard about the plans the first little Liberal had for a home she shook hear head and said “My little Liberal, I cannot allow you to build there as it may disturb the migration route of the Wolf Butterfly.”  “But do not fret for I have another location for you next to some other Liberals.”  “I will make them share with you their land and give you some of their straw to build your home.” She told the first little Liberal reassuringly.  “But Mother, that area floods and there is no stone to build with.” The little Liberal said.  “But my child, as Mother is it not I that knows what is best?”  “Is it not I that has always taken care of you?”  Is it not I that makes the others share with you?”  “Yes Mother.” The first little liberal said.  So the next day the first little liberal had a home built and then moved right in. That night a heavy rain came and washed all the homes in the valley away.  The first little Liberal was washed away with it.  When the other two little Liberals heard the news they turned to Mother and said “What has happened Mother?” “You said you would take care of us but our sibling is now missing and all the homes are gone in the flood.”  Mother told them both “My children, do you not see that the rich failed to provide proper flood control for that area even when they knew that people where building homes in a known flood plain?”  “Should they have not provided more for them and less for themselves for the betterment of those poor Liberals in the valley?”  The two remaining little Liberals looked at each other and in a sheepish voice said “Yes Mother”.  “Tomorrow you will go out and find your new home and I will make sure you have what you need to be safe.” Mother said while pointing to the second little Liberal. 

   The next day the second little Liberal found a tall tree that was sturdy and has stood for 100 years.  “Surely a home build in the branches of this tree will be a safe place for me to build” Thought the second little Liberal.  “I will go tell Mother the good news.” And off went the second little Liberal.  “Mother, Mother.”  “I have found the perfect place for my home!” exclaimed the second little Liberal.  After explaining what was thought to be the best selection for a home site Mother sat the second little Liberal down and explained “My child,  You cannot build a home in that tree for it is a living thing and we should leave it be.”  “If you build there the tree may die and then we will have one less tree in the world to produce oxygen and it may raise the global temperature.”  “You wouldn’t want that would you?”  “No Mother.”  The second little Liberal said.  “I have a spot for you my child that is perfect.”  “I will take you there tomorrow.”  When tomorrow came the second little Liberal found themselves at the same spot as the first.  “But Mother, is this not the same place that my sibling built and did they not get swept away in the flood?”  “My child, does Mother not know what is best for her children?” “Does Mother not always take care of you?”  “Does Mother not makes the others share with you?”  “Yes Mother.” The second little Liberal said.  Soon the other liberals who survived the flood were back to building with Mothers help. They were carful to recycle the straw that was not washed away and made their homes just the same as before.  Soon after they were finished building toxic mold started to form in the wet straw and they became sick.  The second little Liberal went to Mother and told her about the situation.  “Mother, the home that was made for me is now not safe to live in and I fear my health is declining because of the mold.”  Mother told the second little Liberal “I will make you an appointment with a state doctor and we will have the state health inspector come and inspect your home my child.”  The medical appointment was set for a date three weeks from that point and the second little Liberal went home.  That night the second little Liberal succumbed to an asthma attack and died. 

    The very next day Mother stood outside the home of the second little Liberal and sighed.  It was truly sad that she had lost two little Liberals but was well aware that the population was a concern and that it may very well be for the best as they would no longer place a burden onto the system that she had worked so hard to put into place.  Just then the third little Liberal walked up and said “Mother, I am so sad that my siblings died and I fear the same fate may await me.”  Mother patted the third little Liberal on the head and said “There there my child, I am sure you will be just fine.”  “It is now your turn to move out and Mother has the perfect spot for you.” She said as they stared at the now vacant home of the second little Liberal.  The third little Liberal stood up strong and proud and said “No thank you Mother, I will find my own way.”  “But my child, is it not I that knows what is best?”  “Is it not I that has always taken care of you?”  Is it not I that makes the others share with you?”  “No Mother!” barked the third little Liberal “It is you that places us in harms way.”  “It is you that takes our freedom of choice away.” “It is you that takes from me what I have earned and give to those who gather at your feet looking for a free meal.”  Mother looked at her child in shock and disgust.  “My ungrateful child, you throw in my face the great things I have given you.”  “How will you pay for your home?”  She asked “I will work for the money and build as I can afford it.” The third little Liberal said. “How will you be taken care of when you are sick?” She asked “I will take care of my self and save some money each pay day incase I must see the doctor.” “I will also search for a job that offers me health care and educate myself so I may find better work and a better life.” The third little Liberal said. Mother, now red with anger says “How will you support others who do not have what you have?” Without hesitation the third little Liberal said “I will give to charitable organizations and help those that I fell are truly trying to help themselves.”  “I will not help those that only look for what they can attain with little or no effort.”  Mother threw up her arms and exclaimed “You are not my little Liberal.”  “You are right Mother.” The third little Liberal said.  “I am my own person and need not rely on someone else for my survival.”  “I have learned from the deaths of my siblings that when you live your life as dictated and controlled by Mother you truly live no life at all.” 

And from that point forward the third little Liberal had a name.  Bob was a free man who no longer needed Mother to tell him how to live his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment