Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chapter 6: A New Beginning (for the in-laws)


The next few months were as you imagine; fun beyond all belief. I really couldn’t see it getting any worse. I apparently needed to have my eyes checked. Nana and her ex (my father-in-law) decided it was time to go into the trucking business. One couldn’t hold a job to save her life and the other got busted faking workman’s comp and then fired. Gas was high and freight was paying very little. How could this go wrong?

My wife, having some knowledge of the trucking business, tried her best to help. I tried to explain to her that there is no hope for the hopeless and she should just let natural selection take its course. My father-in-law already had a truck and a cattle trailer that was paid for along with a bobcat, dump truck and a bulldozer. He theorized that if he sold all of this stuff he could put down the cash and buy 3 newer trucks and 3 flat trailers. My wife told him to buy one flat trailer and two dry vans (he was already dead set on getting three rigs) as getting all flats would limit him to much less cargo opportunities. I told him to hire someone to drive the truck he owned and continue doing excavation work until he saved up the money to buy a truck for cash. I apparently was a dumb ass with no knowledge of how the hell to run a trucking business and as such served no purpose in his plan.  He just gave her a blank stare and walked off.

I just shut up, sat back and watched the show. Sadly I hadn’t taken into consideration where this show would be taking place. (I know, by now I should have figured this out but for some reason I went into denial until, well….. ) It was in my basement. I came home to find 3 nice shiny red trucks and their respective flat trailers parked in my front yard. I kindly asked the wife, in a calm and reasonable voice, “WHATTHEF#CKISGOINGON”. To which she replied,” They are looking for a place to buy so they can keep them there”. “Who the hell is going to loan him the money for that.”  “He’s hocked his ass for the crap he’s already got.” The wife said nothing. I got a sinking feeling. I politely told her if a dime of MY money goes toward this bullshit we were through. They never got their little plot of land for the business and I was stuck with a trucking company in my home. To show some compassion my mother-in-law gave me her cell phone to use. In all fairness it was paid for by my sister-in-law but since the trucking company just had to get 5 of their own cell phones Nana needed a way to dump the one she had. That was my payment for the whole ordeal.

I still get calls from brokers looking to see if their company has trucks in their area. I tell them that the owner was caught in a male interstate prostitution ring and was also up on charges of cruel and indecent liberties with ovine.

No comments:

Post a Comment